AC Milan captain Rino Gattuso head-butted Scotland legend Joe Jordan last night after Spurs pulled off a sensational Champions League win over his team at the San Siro.
A goal from Peter Crouch 10 minutes from time gave them a 1-0 first leg victory but the triumph was overshadowed by Milan skipper Gattusos antics at the end of the match when he struck Spurs No.2 Jordan himself a former AC Milan hero.
Gattuso had shoved Jordan in an incident during the match but at full-time the duo went eyeball to eyeball on the touchline, screaming at each other before the Italian – who was booked and will miss the second leg at White Hart Lane, head-butted the Tartan Army legend.
On a night that saw David Beckham return to where it all started for him, it was the current darling of the Old Trafford faithful who steered United into the quarterfinals by following up his double in the 3-2 first leg victory in Milan with another brace.
A first-half header put Sir Alex Ferguson’s side firmly in control and the the England striker killed the tie in the opening seconds of the second period.
Park Ji-Sung and Darren Fletcher round off a memorable night as United eliminated their opponents for the first time in five attempts since two of European football’s iconic institutions first met, 52 years ago.
Former England captain Beckham had been strongly linked with a second loan spell with the Rossoneri to improve his chances of making Fabio Capello’s World Cup squad.
Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani claimed last week an announcement was imminent – and it has been confirmed on the club’s official website on Monday evening.
Beckham moved to the San Siro during Major League Soccer’s off-season last January, initially on a three-month loan deal, but impressed so much his stay was extended until the end of the Serie A campaign.
The future of the England international is reportedly close to being concluded, but AC Milan chief Adriani Galliani told the club’s official website: ”I have read that everything is resolved but that is not the case. The deal is not resolved.
”We are in fact working on the possibility that he remains on loan until June 30 but no agreement has been reached.”
On Monday, Galliani confirmed the club’s intention to sign Beckham, but revealed their idea was now to extend his loan until June – after which point he will return to LA Galaxy, and then in January he will join the club for free as he has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the MLS in November.
“I hope I succeed in sorting it out that he stays until 30th June,” Galliani told the club’s television station. “After that he can go back to Los Angeles, before returning to us next January.
“That is what we are trying to do. It is complicated as we always knew it would be, but we are still trying.”
Galaxy have insisted that Beckham will return to the States on March 9, but the player has already publicly confirmed his desire to stay in Italy beyond his current loan agreement.
The vice-precident of AC Milan Adriano Galliani has insisted that his club won’t increase their reported offer of three million dollars to Los Angeles Galaxy to permanently sign on-loan midfielder David Beckham.
Galaxy chief Tim Leiweke had described the offer for the 33-year-old former England captain as ridiculous but Galliani is playing hard-ball.
Speaking to the Gazzetta dello Sport on Saturday, he said there would be no compromise.
“Milan have made an offer that is fair for what is essentially an eight-month loan deal because, as Leiweke said himself, David can leave for nothing on November 30,” said Galliani.
“I don’t want to cause any problems, quite the contrary, I want to thank Galaxy for loaning us Beckham these last months.”
However, the reported three million dollars on the table will not be increased, despite Galaxy apparently holding out for a figure nearer 12 million dollars.
“Absolutely not. I have a lot of experience with regards the price of players,” added Galliani when asked if Milan would increase their bid.
“And from a point of view regarding the European parameters, there’s no sense in spending any more.
“In the States they look at the commercial aspect. But in Europe transfers are done for technical reasons.
“I’m already at the limit of the budget at my disposal.”
Gazzetta claims that the budget mentioned by Galliani includes not only the transfer fee but also the conditions of Beckham’s contract offer until June 2010.
Galliani’s comments will not be well received in Los Angeles after Leiweke told Gazzetta just 24 hours earlier that he was determined not to let Beckham go on the cheap.
“Two weeks ago Milan made a ridiculous offer that took me just a few seconds to reject,” he said of the reported three million dollar bid.
“With this figure Galaxy wouldn’t even be able to cover the loss in revenue from shirt sales.
David Beckham is ready to use his famed determination to seal a permanent move to AC Milan despite Los Angeles Galaxy saying the transfer is dead. The England midfielder, on loan at Milan until March 9, desperately wants to stay with the Serie A club and increase his chances of playing at a fourth World Cup in 2010.
Major League Soccer said a deal had to be done by last Friday but Milan and Beckham’s advisors have virtually ignored the deadline and are confident the transfer can still take place.
“Up to March 9, I think there is time to find a solution,” Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti told reporters after Sunday’s 2-1 derby defeat by leaders Inter Milan.
Beckham has fought tough battles before and won.
He virtually took England to the 2002 World Cup single-handedly and forced Fabio Capello to bring him back into the title-winning Real Madrid side in 2007 after being dropped when he announced he would be leaving for LA Galaxy.
It looked unlikely two years ago that he would equal Bobby Moore’s England outfield caps record of 108 but he managed it in last week’s defeat by Spain having burst back on to the scene.
Beckham’s options are varied and it is unclear which road he will take, but he is very likely to end up at Milan.
His preference is for the clubs to agree a deal, which could take place outside of the transfer window because he is technically on loan at Milan until June.
Talks will take place this week but the two parties are poles part when it comes to a valuation.
Rumours even go as far as to suggest that Beckham may buy out the remainder of his contract at the Home Depot Center in order to secure a move to the Rossoneri.
The England midfielder is due to rejoin LA Galaxy in March after his loan deal is completed at Milan, but the 33-year-old has made such an impact in his first few games that the San Siro management are desperate to keep him in Milan.
The former England captain scored his first goal for AC Milan last week and would see the move as an ideal route back into the England squad under Fabio Capello.
“I can’t say what will happen. My contract says that I’ll be here until March. We’ll have to see,” said Beckham after Sunday’s 4-1 win at Bologna. “At the moment I’m enjoying this experience. I’m at one of the biggest clubs in the world.”
AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti and owner Silvio Berlusconi are both hopeful that Beckham will make the decision to move to Italy on a permanant basis.
Ancelotti promised “no pressure will be made” on the player but confirmed: “Our desire is that he continues with us.”
He added: “When March 9 comes and he returns to America that will sadden us because of the help he is giving his team in terms of quality of play and balance.”